Story City Church Update.
Everyday is a new piece to the puzzle
Since our plans went public March 23rd, this journey has been filled with extreme emotion and trust. The reality of our dependence hit us dramatically the day we put our dream house on the market two weeks ago as we knew we’d never live in such a house again! It was real, but we’re truly as satisfied as we could possibly imagine.
WATCHING GOD. A few highlights over the past 6 weeks…
- We’ve received emails, phone calls, and texts of God’s supernatural activity in the lives of other people after announcing we were leaving. One guy I met with recently said he was flying back from the West Coast and God clearly impressed on his heart that he should move out west. After he found out we were headed to Los Angeles, he put his yes on the table to move and be a part of the church!
- Someone dropped a massive check for Los Angeles in the offering plate two weeks ago at First Baptist Woodstock! I don’t know who they are but I’m unbelievably grateful. This was totally unsolicited as we haven’t asked individuals for money. It was a monster check. Praise God!
- Through a difficult set of circumstances and a brief visit back to Woodstock,another person we met with is considering a move back to Los Angelesand is interested in possibly being a part of Story City once we get started. We’re praying she moves to LA!!
- Last week an FBCW member sent me a facebook message. He recently led a guy to Christ who lives in Santa Monica and said he wants to be a part of our church! Every single day we talk with someone who knows someone in LA. We’re making a list of these names and will contact them once we get there. If you know someone in LA, please let us know!
- I met last week with writer/director and friend, Brad Silverman. I met Brad at a movie premiere last August for his film, Grace Unplugged. Brad lives and works in Hollywood as a solid evangelical believer. I’m super stoked to have him on the ground as a friend to glean wisdom from.
- Another FBCW member has placed his yes on the table to move out with us. He’s got an incredible story of sin and restoration after playing professional baseball for quite a few years. He’s a Dodgers fan, which I’m growing to love!
- An FBCW senior is going to college in Santa Clarita this fall. If we land near him, he wants to be a part as well. He’s a super sharp servant and leader!
Everyday has been a faith adventure as we watch God piece together the puzzle. I’m now expecting something new and incredible to happen daily.
ASKING GOD. Would you mind praying for these specific requests?
- Staff – Would you pray that God would clearly identify to us a worship pastor and two other staff members?
We’re currently talking with a couple potential worship pastors as well as a couple potential staff guys. Our prayer is that God would confirm to us and them (1) a clear calling to LA, (2) a passionate love for the unchurched, and (3) a right fit for our team. I have a phone conversation on Monday with a potential staff member. I’d love for him to be a part of our team. We just want what God wants!!
- Families – Would you pray that God would raise up 4-5 families who would move to start Story City with us?
We’d really like to see 4-5 families or more move to LA with us. Maybe that’s you! We’re praying that God would confirm this calling to them, help us know who they are, and to hear from them.
- Neighborhoods/Cities – Would you pray that God would give us obvious and evident clarity on the location that we should plant our church and our family?
We’ve talked to several pastors and leaders on the ground in LA as we’re trying to discern where the church will be located. We’re praying over 3 areas right now, although that could totally change once we’re there in a few weeks to visit.
We’re doing demographic research to understand the context and culture. If it interests you, check this out to see what we’re seeing.
The three areas are: Santa Monica, San Fernando Valley (Encino to Burbank up to Santa Clarita), and Thousand Oaks/Agoura Hills.
We’re flying to LA May 25-30 with Pastor Johnny and 30 pastors who will see the city and the work that needs to be done.
- Would you pray that these 30 pastors would see the vision and would lead their churches to give significant financial resources as well people and teams who may come out to work with us.
One FBCW staff member asked me today if this was my last day at Woodstock!! The answer is NO!! Haha. We’ll be around until at least October. We’re having baby #3 in July!
We’re hoping to have a gathering of prayer, worship, and vision casting before the end of May with our prayer team as well as those who may be interested in moving to LA. Stay tuned. We’d love for you to attend.
Finally, our house is up for sale. We’re praying for a great offer at the right time! If we sell before we move, we’ll move in with a family here in town who have graciously offered their basement to our family.
Would love for you to forward this on to a friend who may pray for Story City and the city of Los Angeles!! Thanks for your prayers! They’re moving mountains!